Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Day 38 to 42 July 25, 2011-July 29, 2011 Comfortable camping!

Do you know how your old slippers feel so good?  That's what camping is like at Passaconaway CG on the Kancamangus Highway in NH (near Conway). The Kancamagus Highway is a 26.5-mile (42.6 km)-long two-lane road that runs east and west overall through the White Mountains of New Hampshire, United States.[1] Part of New Hampshire Route 112, it is generally considered one of the most scenic drives in the region, and is packed every October with travelers enjoying New England's autumn foliage. It has been designated a National Scenic Byway by the United States Department of Transportation under the name Kancamagus Scenic Byway.

I think this was the first spot Ed ever took me camping--and knowing my sheltered childhood, I am sure it was my first ever camping trip!  And it was in a tent a thousand years ago.  Maybe it's so comfortable to be here now because of happy memories.

I remember being with the kids (one time--I was not the true camper then--I showed up on a weekend!) and being with extended family.  It was fun.  We would have campfires and burnt marshmallows!

The site we choose is shaded but not dark.  There is no water or electricity on site and it's a drive to get to civilization, but it's good.  You know what to expect.  There's not many people here--it doesn't really fill up until Friday as we are leaving.  All sites are first come first served.

Ed has had a good few days of hiking here.  This seems to be his favorite spot.  It's nice to see him happy as he goes off into the 'wilderness' each day for hiking.  It's been a tough couple of years for his body and it's good to know surgeries work!

And besides hunting Internet, I have spent my time reading.  I love my Kindle!  I have read 16 books so far and have many more to go!  For some reason, I have not been motivated to work on my Genealogy this summer.  Since I'm starting a new Genealogy club with the Nauset Newcomers Group  in September, you'd think I'd better get motivated soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment